Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Wednesday 6th July 2011 - Baptism by Fire working process.

Starting inspiration: Playing the game "World of Tanks", crossed with my childhood adoration of the War, and tanks in general.

Very very rough 3x2 thumbnail, scanned and scaled up to A3 size in photoshop (my standard working size [@300 dpi])

Start with the sky, to give myself a standard mid tone, plus, everything is painted on top of it. Trying to work out foreground ideas.

Eyedropping values from the background, I built up a standard value assessment of the Tiger tank.

I basically repeated this process for everything else, using some reference for the tanks and a lot of reference for the figures and their associated poses/weapons.

After a generic pass with tighter values, I use curve and contrast adjustments, and start to add textures.

Realize i'd stupidly left every element floating, isolated in their part of the canvas, so I begin to add elements to tie them together, giving each part a sense of weight.

Start to hammer the textures home, using my texture brushes and photo textures in tangent, painting over them to add some personality and liveliness to the painting.


This was the 'finished' piece. After some more tightening up, I applied some Hard Light gradient overlays, to get a play between warm and cool colours, creating a nice juxtaposition.

After submitting it to DeviantArt (http://narcotic-nightmares.deviantart.com/art/Baptism-by-Fire-216981663 ) I thought the colours too garish, the highlights were far too light, and so on, so, I took it back into photoshop and further played around with the colour balance.

And that's it really. I still have a stupidly long way to go, and each step is painful with digital art, but I *will* get better at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment