Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Wednesday 20th February 2013 - Polished Inks

 
  


These are the inks I posted last time, cleaned up some, dropped onto a black background and converted into a .PNG. That means they now have transparent backgrounds (see below), which will hopefully help when it comes to printing them onto various items.


There was some difficulties involved in getting certain parts to stay white, and certain parts not erasing properly, but I guess that's a good thing - I can evaluate that stuff and get extra marks (hopefully).





These are the same designs with the desired band's logos dropped on them - quickly vectored from low resolution copies, they are mere placeholders, and I guess I must make this apparent: These are unlicensed works, the logos are used solely as a visual indicator, and I have no intention of breaching copyright. Because some people are annoying...

I do hope to contact the bands when coloured versions are also complete, or maybe now that the black and white designs are done I could have a go... But yeah, for now, these are just mock ups.

Monday, 18 February 2013

Monday 18th February 2013 - Traditional Inks







I have been rather productive in the past week (to make up for the fact that the commencing week will be a total failure of productivity, due to birthday, commitments, work, and whatever else). All of these are prospective designs for bands, apart from the top one, which was the design for a beer label.

The success of the beer label rekindled my love for inking things traditionally, and that combined with the recent discovery of Toshihiro Egawa's work prompted me to do some more like it, so I went at it with abandon.

All of these I hope to both colour digitally for my portfolio, and play around with the design some to come up with potential t-shirt and sticker designs, to test the applicability of my work as well as try to develop it technically.


Monday 18th February 2013 - Unleash the Panzer Division


The first of many paintings for my Final Major Project at Uni, I don't know why I keep painting snow, I really, really hate doing it, and it really messes around with the lighting.


I really, really liked how the helmet came out, even if it did seem slightly 2D in the end, the reference I had was excellent.


As it had snowed recently in old blighty at the time of painting this, I was able to simply plonk my anatomical skull and helmet down in a handy snow drift and photograph to my hearts content.

Friday, 1 February 2013

Friday 1st February 2013 - Hivemind

I was recently approached with a sample of some homebrewed mead, to try, and, if I enjoyed it, I was to supply a label...

Well. I say that.

A friend brewed some up, I was around to try some, ended up being knocked on my arse by it, and was inspired to create a label for the blank bottles.



Sketching it out was remarkably easy, considering it was the first piece of art i'd attempted in a while... I guess the rest time allowed my mind to spin down.




I drew the main zombie chap and the lettering separately, knowing I could stick them together in Photoshop no problem. This also meant I didn't need to worry about balancing them up in pencil, as I could just use the transform tool. Some would probably consider this cheating, I consider it using all the tools I have available to streamline my workflow.



As my friend wasn't a professional client, and had no vested interest in what I was spending my time doing, there were no alterations needed, so I was able to go straight on to the inking. I wanted to give it a comic book look, with detailed inks and quite a simple colour overlay. It was fun to ink traditionally again.


I tried to make it look as distressed as possible, and give the honey leaking out of the chaps orifices (After all, it is mead) an almost luminous quality. All that's left is to print this bugger out and stick it on the remaining bottles!